Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane's Eve

What does one do on the eve of a hurricane? Well, let me tell you.


I went to work, came home, ate, put up all my storm shutters (all by myself!), mowed the grass (because I want my lawn to be manicured on the insurance photos), cleaned out the yard, cleaned out the truck, calmed down the next door neighbor (who was freaking out!), fixed my exhausted husband a sandwich, and fell into bed exhausted after tracking the hurricane until 11:00 pm.


My husband went to purchase and cut plywood for a family with disabilities who weren't able to take care of this themselves. Then he took the extra plywood to some elderly folks house and did the best he could to secure the southside of their house. Then he came home and our (nonfreaking out) next door neighbor helped us to rethread the few bolts that weren't working well. He also tracked the hurricane until 11:00 and is still enjoying his well deserved sleep.


My plans for today, you ask? Laugh if you will, but laundry. Clean sheets and towels for everyone. Also, study for boards, continue some projects, scrapbook, keep watch at my doors with a mop for leaks.


For those who are anxious about our decision to stay, we're not crazy. And if we thought we were going to be in trouble, we wouldn't be here. The storm is weakening, I believe thanks to prayer.


I told my mother I wanted to live through, and see, the eye of a hurricane. I want to watch the eye go over me. This midnight landing is not conducive to that. Oh well. I'm sure she's just wishing I wouldn't have an apparent death wish.
We will board up the doors this morning. To be perfectly honest with you, I'm more concerned about pottying for our dog than the storm. We may have to deal with messes later. But that's okay. I think taking a lab on a leash in the middle of this may be more like flying a kite than a potty break.
I'm writing posts for future post time. So if I blog more after I sign off, I'm not lying. I am just that prepared. Keep praying!

No comments: