Friday, September 12, 2008

Good things, bad things

I love this style of posting. Come to think of it, the last time I saw it was written by first and second graders. So I'm in a simple mindset this morning, apparently.



Good thing: Contraflow (where they turn the south bound lanes into north bound lanes)

Bad thing: They're not using them. In their defense, we really don't need it right now, but that's not very comforting for those who are sitting in traffic, even for the 4 mile back up in Conroe.



Good thing: Opening toll roads for free to all for evacuation

Bad thing: Only the EZ Tag lanes are open like that. All the rest have the arms down. So only two lanes get through every time there's a toll booth.



Good thing: Storm shutters of corrugated steel

Bad thing: They get HOT when left in the sun. HOT!



Good thing: Storm shutters of corrugated steel

Bad thing: It's awfully dark in the house right now. Awfully dark. Which overnight isn't so bad. You sleep pretty good in a house with storm shutters on, blinds down and closed, and curtains. It's awfully dark. But during the storm I'd rather peek out the window occasionally and see outside. That is impossible with this system. Did I mention it was dark?



Good thing: Neighbors who are also staying

Bad thing: Neighbors who are staying but are freaking out. I actually said "This storm isn't so big. It's really not that big." Do I feel guilty about lying to them? A little. I did mean it wasn't as powerful as it could be. But Ike is big. Big. Those folks from California don't really understand a hurricane.



Good thing: Hurricane stores of food and water

Bad thing: Food is not Weight Watchers approved. But when you're looking in the store for food you can keep for 6 months in your pantry, food that can be opened with a manual can opener, and you don't have to heat or cool for it to be yummy, you're left with Dinty Moore Stew and Chili. We bought crackers at the store this week to help us get down the stew and chili.



Good thing: Evacuations went very, very well for those who left.

Bad thing: It took Rita to get us where we could say that.



Good thing: 24 hour Ike watch on all channels.

Bad thing: 24 hour Ike watch on all channels. Seriously, I don't need to see a reporter lashed to the pier as waves crash around him and his camera man can't stand. But it is cool to see Galveston with waves crashing over the Seawall Blvd on the south side of the island. How many times have I driven that? It's under water now, with every wave that comes in. Freaky. And it's low tide.



And now, I have to tell you of Ike's first morbidity. That's just where folks get hurt, not killed. I still get those confused. I think it's even used just for illness, but we're gonna use it for injury too, here. Go with it, people. Jeremy is sunburned on his neck and arms. Not because he had no access to sunscreen, but because he failed to avail himself of it. AND, I am sunburned. Only on my legs though. And my face. And my neck. I wore my hat! But apparently the sun bounces off that steel. . . . AND, I have a rash on my feet where I got into something in my yard. I think it's the weeds in my fern bed. I did actually board up in flip-flops. AND I have a HUGE blister on my right thumb from taking the protectors off the bolts and tightening the wing nuts to the shutters. It's pathetic really. I almost took a picture, but you wouldn't believe it was actually my thumb.



Keep praying!

2 comments:

Your Other Mom said...

Good Thing: Friends who stay behind so the rest of us can know what is really happening (not what the reporters are reporting).

Bad Thing: Friends who stay behind. Here in my utopia in Biloxi everything is good. I don't worry until I read what's going on or hear from other friends who remind me of what I may NOT have to return to.

Please, Please, Please be careful! And no peeking!

B

Katherine said...

Still praying and watching! Please keep us updated as you can.

It seems you are not the only ones staying-I just hope they got out of Galveston.

Be safe, and yes-no peeking!