Sunday, December 14, 2008

A new opportunity to serve. . .

I have accepted a temporary job with a company that specializes in temp jobs for PAs. I get paid on an hourly basis, and it's really flexible so I can also take a day off to interview if I need to. I start with this company tomorrow with my first assignment. I knew it wasn't in the best neighborhood. . . .

Because of my HORRENDOUS navigational skills, we drove to the clinic today after church so I would have some clue about where I was headed tomorrow AM. Okay, so the neighborhood degenerated quickly after we exited the highway. Really quickly. I didn't take a photo of the clinic, I thought better of getting out of the car at that point. Let's just say that when I asked J where I should park in the morning, he said, "Behind the 8 foot tall chain link fence with the three rows of barbed wire above it." He said this without even thinking. Sounds good to me. This is the kind of place where I would feel more comfortable if one of the clinicians was scary and mean looking. Or packing heat.

So, on the way home, I started praying about this job. I have committed to three shifts at this particular clinic. It came to me that God puts us where He needs us to be, and where our talents are needed. I can serve here. I can serve this population with the heart of Jesus. I can treat them with kindness, gentleness, respect. I can heal their physical ailments. I can also touch their soul.

I pray that this week you also find someone, somewhere you can serve. It may be at home. It may be at school or work. Please allow God to touch your eyes and your heart to stir you to good works. We are put here to touch others. And it may be at that very moment that God touches us.

We hope to have permanent job news for both of us at the beginning of this week. Please be praying about those opportunities.

2 comments:

Momma said...

Keeping you both in my prayers sister...With you commitment and tender heart, I know God will use you in ways that you can't imagine!

Love you sister! M

Angelina said...

How is the temp job working for you? Snow sounds exciting to me, I like what you drew in the snow :)