Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What do you have?

Yesterday I was teaching a high school student. It was very interesting to teach someone who had NO IDEA about what I do. She wanted to see if she wanted to be a Physician Assistant when she grows up. So she followed me around all day to see if she could do what I do.

When last I taught a student, it was a PA student at the end of her rotations, and she was quite competant in seeing patients. So I am used to that level of comfort with patients. Yesterday, I was being followed by someone who is about 7 years behind the first one in school. It was quite an attitude shift for me.

If you have someone following you around all day, it opens your eyes to what you do, how you do it, and what you say about and to people. At least it did to me.

Teaching others opens my eyes to my own weaknesses, my failings, my short comings, and my strengths. It is a good time to evaluate what I really know, and what I just take for granted, because that's what I have always known.

Teaching others also opens my eyes to all that I know, and all that I have soaked up in 29 years on this planet. It reminds me of all that I learned, all the trouble I took to learn things, and how excited I was when it all "clicked" in my brain.

Teaching my two students reminded me that we all have something to offer, something to teach others. These two women certainly taught me plenty in the time we were a team.

So, on that note, what do you have that you can teach others? Bible knowledge? Career know-how? Home-y activities? Child raising tips? What advice do you have in your brain that you can share with me? The possibilities are unlimited.

Be sure and teach others. Your wisdom will inspire others to reach and grow, to try something new. And learn from others. We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

And on a related note, can someone tell me why my paragraphs aren't showing up when I publish the post, but they're there when I write it? What am I doing wrong!!

No comments: