Monday, April 6, 2009

Bible Bowl



There's not alot to say about Bible Bowl this year.

We took a great group of kids to Abilene for ACU's final Bible Bowl. I've been going since I was 12 or so, taking a few years off for my college education. Now, I'm taking kids.

It was a good year for us. Our group was really cohesive, and got along well. We did have fun.



We stopped at BlueBell Creameries on the way up to Abilene. Yummy! We got to tour the plant, and got a sample of their ice cream at the end.



After the test, I give whoever beats my score $5 cash. I try to make a big production out of it, and the kids seem to like it, especially since I'm a little competitive and it means they beat me. One girl beat me this year; she was the one who tied last year and she was a little upset that tying didn't rate the $5. This year she beat me (by two points) and earned her $5. Her sister tied me this year. I think I may be out $10 next year...

We let the kids stay up as late as they want on Saturday for two reasons: 1. so we can give them a bedtime on Friday night before the test, and 2. it makes it so they sleep all the way home on Sunday. Devious, I know. Here we are playing a game I don't remember into the wee hours of the morning. We didn't even get half way. 14 people is alot for this particular game.



We had church in the hotel conference room with some other Houston churches. It's wonderful to worship with new friends, knowing Christ binds you all together.



Big thanks to the V family for making our rockin' Bible Bowl shirts. We all look great!

Since ACU has shuttered its doors to Bible Bowl after years and years, the Houston churches have gotten together and are trying to start up a Bible Bowl of our own. We're looking for churches who have been participating in Bible Bowl for years, as well as churches who would like to start a program that encourages Bible study. If you know of any that would be interested in starting this program, with plenty of help from us, of course, please let me know!!

We wanted to thank the elders for allowing this trip, and for supporting us through this ministry. They've been great! We pray it will continue into the future as a ministry that encourages memorization of the scriptures.

No comments: