Friday, February 13, 2009

Master Follies

I went to a wonderful girls weekend in early February. My dear friend Marcey invited me up to Lubbock for a girls weekend and home coming.

I was able to spend a lovely, spring-like evening with my former roommate, her husband, and her two children. Even after all this time, MH is one of my closest friends. I love the enduring closeness we have. Like she said, it's like we never have been apart, even after 12 years of friendship, and 8 years of looonnnnggg distance!


Marcey and I spent alot of the weekend hanging out, eating, going shopping, eating, getting lost, eating... It was great. She is one person I am always excited to see. Our friendship has deepened over the years, and she is another one of my closest friends from college.

While I was in Lubbock, LCU had a wonderful reception for Dr. Estep, the Dean of Biology when I was a student. That man is responsible for my present profession. I remember being frustrated and discouraged at possible career paths. I talked to him, and he mentioned being a PA. He was completely honest about how little he knew about the PA profession, but he would help me do whatever I needed to do. And he did.


At the reception, I was able to see many former professors. Wow. They still inspire me. I am so very grateful for their strong influence on me in my early career, and their unwavering belief in me. These professors taught organic chemistry, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology, and other -ologies while also teaching about preserving their Christian faith while being a scientist.


Dr. Byron Rogers


Donna Harmon


Dr. Iona Baldridge

And, of course, the friends at alumni breakfast, the friends at the shows, and the friends we just ran into. It's amazing what changes after 8 years of being away, and what doesn't. Man, I miss these guys!



And at Master Follies Performance, I was NOT ashamed to be an alumnus. This is in stark contrast to last year. I was actually proud of my girls and the effort they put forth. They didn't win any prizes, but they had fun, and you could tell. (Man, I still hate kelly green...)


LCU's motto is "Changing Lives." It sure did change mine. It brought me and strengthened everything I love, an enduring relationship with Christ, my husband, my friends now scattered all over the world.

I will leave you with this clip, part of the Master Follies performance. You've got to listen to this. It was in my head for days. Who knew that Sweet Dreams acapella style would be so rockin'?

No comments: