Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I simply didn't have words. . .

Let me set the scene.

I was in a hospital stretcher wearing a hospital gown and my socks. I was breathing canned oxygen through my nose. I had an IV in my right hand, right next to my hospital bracelet. I had a blood pressure cuff on my left arm. I am a Patient.

My physician comes in, a woman who I have known on a strictly professional basis until this moment in time. Now, I am her Patient. This does not stop her.

She chit chats while the anesthesiologist mixes the drug coctail. We chit chat about work - the only thing we know about each other. She states that she is looking for a PA. She states that she knows I left my former employer. You know, she says thoughtfully, we would love to have you apply for our open position.

Ummm. Words failed me. I declined graciously (I hope), saying I had found a part time job. She countered with the fact that her position could be part time. Ummm. I am feeling a little naked right now (maybe because I am). I gently told her that my former employer was also having trouble filling the vacancy, that times are hard for physicians right now who are looking for good mid-levels.

When I came out of anesthesia, I laughed. She certainly did have a captive audience for a job pitch. Now that I am no longer the Patient, I can say that that opportunity was not a good one to pitch an employment opportunity.

1 comment:

Bill and Tonya said...

Oh My! I read your blog entry at work where my co-workers were busy working near by. I laughed hysterically as I read the scenario of the your days events. I think they thought I'd lost my mind... I love you... MamaT