Friday, May 22, 2009

Having a Mary Monday in a Martha World

Monday I drove to B, about 100 minutes from here. This was a special trip, a fun trip where I got to spend the whole day with a dear friend who had moved far away (but, thankfully, not too far). I got there about 10 in the morning.

That's when the fun began.

When I got there, she offered me water, which I gratefully accepted, and we headed out to her back porch. Where we stayed all day, leaving only to grab sustenance (which we ordered to-go and ate on her back porch) and grab her daughter after school. I love my friend, and I love her back porch. The weather was just right, even a little chilly initially, for a day in the shade.

Over the 10 hours I spent with this wise and wonderful friend, we touched on every subject you could think of. I left her house encouraged, refreshed, and energized. We had laughed, shared heartache, struggles, and victories.

What did I cross off my to-do list Monday? Nothing. Not one thing. I had also monopolized my friend's day, and she didn't get much done, either. Was it a wasted day? No! I know if I'd been at home, I would have had plenty to do. But instead, I was able to slow down and be still.

I need more days like that...

1 comment:

Kim said...

MArk 6:31 "Come with my by yourself to a quiet place and get some rest."

SO glad you and C had a day of rest. I know it was wonderful. Wish I would have been a fly on the fly to hear all the wisdom from that lovely lady!!!