Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ireland, Day 2, June 10

The City of Waterford

We were totally exhausted when we drove into the city. We had been driving around the countryside and had only slept a little on the plane. The last time we had eaten was on the plane before we landed. We were so hungry we couldn't sleep, and so sleepy we couldn't eat.

We were on a mission for food at about 2:00 pm local time. We were also looking for Waterford Crystal factory so we could see how the crystal was made. Food won out.

We found a yummy looking steak place. Closed. We found a yummy looking hamburger place. Closed. I was on the verge of tears and a major melt down (at age 31, I know). We asked some nice ladies what close food was available. They pointed us to a little cafe very close to where we were. We hauled our exhausted bodies up the stairs, and found a cute little cafe. I ordered lentil soup (what was I thinking? I don't like lentil soup!) and J ordered a ham sandwich. It was literally a slab of ham on bread. We had water - which the waiter called a 'gulp' of water. J thought that was cute.

I was literally sleeping in my chair with my head in my hands, barely awake long enough to bring a bite of soup to my mouth, then dozing off again for a few seconds. J was about the same. We were simply pitiful.

After our meal - lunch? dinner? we went out in search of Waterford Crystal Factory. We had, on complete accident, parked at the factory entrance. Unfortunately for us, the crystal factory part where they show you how they cut the glass was permanently closed. Boo!

At that point, me barely hanging on to consciousness and just a few bites of food in my belly, I decided that if Waterford didn't have a glass cutting demonstration, I wasn't gonna go. So there.

Photos of the town of Waterford. It is a pretty little town.


This picture might be of Cashel. I have it labeled as Waterford, but the castle looks like Cashel. Either my notes are wrong, or my memory of Cashel is wrong. Or both. Who knows.


This is definitely Waterford. It was so pretty!

No comments: